A house is a necessity for everyone. A house provides shelter to you and your loved ones. It can also be known as a safe place where you spend most of your free time. Every person who owns a house wants to make it beautiful and appealing for themselves and their loved ones.
It is essential for us to keep our house safe just as we like to keep it beautiful and aesthetic. There are many ways by which your house can become a disaster for you and your family. So, here are some tips that will keep your house safe.
1. Upgrade Your Panel
The first step to keeping your house electrically safe is to check your electric panel. The electric panel is the primary source through which the power is distributed to all your rooms and circuits. Any amount of unusual voltage can play a significant role in a house fire.
Old houses usually still have old electrical panels that cannot control or bear any high load of voltage and can cause the electrical appliances to catch fire. Try to get a residential electrical panel upgrade as soon as possible for the safety of your loved ones.
2. Check All Your Wirings.
After upgrading your residential electric panel, the next step should be to check all your wirings and circuits. Electrical wiring can cause a fire within seconds if not appropriately taken care of. You should immediately check all your underground wirings.
This step should definitely be taken as the weakest point can be a major cause of a house fire. If most of your wires are hidden in the ceiling or underground, you can call someone for your home electrical safety check.
Sometimes a bird might be building a nest within your ceiling, which can cause the wires to tangle or ruin. Make sure that you check all your wiring thoroughly.
3. Unplug All Your Unused Appliances
Try to unplug all of your unused electrical appliances. Keeping all your electrical appliances plugged in while not being used not only costs you extra in your bill, but it can also be dangerous for you.
When the appliances are plugged in for no reason, they can overheat and blast, causing your house to light up in flames. So try to keep the practice of unplugging all your appliances while they are not being used.
4. Keep Electrical Outlets Away From Water
Try to keep electrical outlets away from the water, as we all know that water is one of the best conductors of electricity. This means that electricity can easily pass through the water and create shockwaves.
Usually, the old house’s bathrooms have outlets within the shower area which can be dangerous or even fatal. Kids often get shocked by these electrical outlets when they touch them with wet hands. If your house has an outlet that you think might be close to a source of water, you should call an electrician or wiring experts to solve your problem.